Monday, September 26, 2011

Townie: a memoir

Townie: a memoir by Andre Dubus 387 pg.

I picked this book out while browsing overdrive. I'm not overly familiar with the author but liked "House of Sand and Fog" and was looking for something to listen to. I can break this book down into 3 main parts. 1. Crappy poverty-stricken childhood where the author was weak and in a tough neighborhood. 2. Deciding to "get strong" and defend himself, the author bulks up and learns to fight then proceeds to tell us about so many times where he beat the crap out of someone, I was starting to get the urge to get into a fight myself or at least get into a boxing ring. 3. Growing up and leaving the violence behind...repairing relationships and moving on by getting married and becoming a father. The second section is by far the longest. I mean to say, this guy was out kicking some ass and doing a good job of it. All of these experiences make us who we are and the author has had some INTERESTING experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment