Friday, September 30, 2011

Fables vol. 15: Rose Red/Bill Willingham, et al

Fables 15: Rose Red; Bill Willingham, Mark Buckinham, etc; Graphic Novel, 245p

Okay Fables, I will admit I was not expecting this great big showdown to turn out the way it did. You got me.
I think this volume was probably the most satisfying in terms of character backstory, and that goes hand in hand with my utter joy that Rose actually gets to freaking do something in the story for the first time in what feels like eight volumes. Ahem. yes. Once again we see Fabletown's(or in this case the Farm's) lack of democracy in action, and while that's a satisfying moment in the story, I kind of realized that wow, none of these characters are really great or functional people, and in fact each and every one of them is in their own way a jerk. With the possible exception of Flycatcher, haha. Anyway, that's part of what makes Fables such a compelling series for me, because as much as I like to see Our Heroes win, sometimes I like to see them fail as well. Good going, Willingham.
As far as this volume goes, I am just a teeny bit disappointed in how anticlimactic the end turned out, buuuuut they have to have some loose ends to leave for the next volume so I will just have to wait somewhat patiently for 16. Somewhat. I have other things to read in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment