Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fables vol. 14: Witches/Bill Willingham et. al.

Fables volume 14: Witches; graphic novel, 192 pages
So it's been a while since I last read any of this series, and now I'm playing catch-up. (It's also been a while since I blogged! Hello blog!) Fortunately, while Fables is a pretty dense series, Willingham does a great job of recapping and letting the story speak for itself without getting too heavy-handed with exposition. Thanks, Bill! The art, as usual, is fantastic, especially the invididual issue covers collected in the back.
As for the story, it follows the same sort of flow I've come to expect from this series: a whole lot of ominous building of tension, setting up what's surely going to be an epic conflict with a lot of casualties. Unfortunately, this far into the series, I kind of wish the team would do something a little more surprising. I'm supposed to be worried about what's going to happen to these characters (who are Fables' strongest suit, they come across as real whole people {and animals} no matter how small or insignificant they may seem). Instead I'm sure that no matter what happens and what Big Bad shows up next, they will find a way to cook up some last minute scheme that will win the day.
Or you know what? Maybe they won't. If there's one thing Willingham is excellent at, it's making me want to read more. So I'll grab the next volume and see how this whole big intricate mess unfolds. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment