Wednesday, September 28, 2011

League of Extraordinary Gentleman: Century 1969 / Alan Moore et al.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. [Vol. 3, part 2,] Century: 1969 by Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill. 80 p.

I really like the first two LoEG graphic novels, but was somewhat let down by this one. Part of it is because I can tell I'm missing a lot of the cameos--background characters--in a way that I didn't in the Victorian-set books. But part of it is that the League characters don't really do much here. There's a lot of walking around and talking, but very little of the adventure that was in the earlier books. A lot of the "walking around London" scenes seemed like an excuse to fill the backgrounds with visual jokes that I'm not getting at all. In the earlier volumes the visual jokes were a bonus to the story; here it feels like they are the story. I love playing "spot the reference" but the idea of figuring out all the stuff I missed here just makes me feel tired. (Although Voldemort's appearance amuses me.)

As much as I'm disappointed by the writing, I must say that O'Neill's art continues to be gorgeous. The 60s look here is really fabulous.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment