Friday, September 16, 2011

The Unwritten, volume 1/Mike Carey & Peter Gross

The Unwritten, Volume 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity; Mike Carey, Peter Gross; graphic novel, 144p

Okay, I checked this one out on Kara's recommendation and this series is clearly amazing. I'm a huge fan of reality-bending slipstream fiction, and The Unwritten is (I hope) another fantastic addition to the genre. The first volume sets up the story, and like many graphic novels with big strange concepts (my favorite kind) the first chapters feel a little clunky, a little heavyhanded, as the writer sets the scene. A guy whose father was the author of a series of bestselling Harry Potter-esque books and then mysteriously disappeared. The protagonist of said novels is Tommy Taylor, based on the flesh and blood son, Tom Taylor. Tom now has to deal with a huge and volatile fandom, his bitterness towards his absent father for writing the books that have ruined his life, and, as the series showcases, the unraveling of his sanity and/or the fabric of reality itself. This installment felt much like a lot of set-up for pay-off at the very very end, but I've heard good things about this series and I fully expected it to find its feet in the second volume, which I will blog about shortly. (spoiler alert: it's awesome)

No comments:

Post a Comment