Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde


The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, 374 pages, mystery.
After years of hearing about Jasper Fforde and the Thursday Next novels, I finally gave one a try. Thursday, the character (for those two or three of you who know less about this that I), is a member of SpecOps 27, a Literary Detective, in this slipstream (got that word from SPL's David Wright) alternate mid-eighties England, where people can move in and out of literary works, and changes can be wrought therein by the unscrupulous or criminal. In this first outing, Thursday attempts to safeguard Jane Eyre in its manuscript form, battling the evil Acheron Hades who is attempting to ransom national literary treasures. A fun book, great for fans of Brit-Lit and semi-cozy mysteries. I listened to this on downloadable audio during a stay at a mildewy hotel in mid-Missouri. The engaging story and pleasant narration by Susan Duerden made the trip bearable. I believe I will read another in the series, but I don't know if it will be soon.

Check our Catalog.

Downloadable Audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment