Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sacred Scars/Kathleen Duey

Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey (Resurrection of Magic, book 2); young adult, dark fantasy; 560 pages (about 14 hours on CD)

I'm writing this review just minutes after finishing the book, so my review might be colored by my post-book high.

Sacred Scars picks up where Skin Hunger left off: Sadima is still struggling to free herself and Franklin from Somiss' insane plans, while hundreds of years later, Hahp is fighting for survival in the wizard school Somiss will one day establish. More happens in this book than the previous volume, but the pace is still slow and deliberate. The characterization is wonderful, and the tension Duey builds is so palpable that the book is hard to put down (I definitely missed a few turns while caught up in one section of the audio book). This might be one of the best things I've read this year. If you're looking for action, though, this is not the series for you.

And now for the bad news. I went into this series assuming it was a two-book set, since there hadn't been a new book for several years. Halfway through the book, I was pretty sure this wasn't going to wrap up in a single volume, so I visited Miss Duey's website to see what's going on. There is a third book in the works, it's just taking a while to write. So I'm stuck waiting with everyone else for the final book. You should still read these, even if you can't get the last book right away. I think the wait will only make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment