Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Batman: War Games, Act 1/Ed Brubaker

Batman: War Games; Act 1: Outbreak by Ed Brubaker, et al; graphic novel; 208 pages

On a dark night in Gotham, the leaders of every gang in the city meet to answer a mysterious summons. No one knows who called them together, and they don't find out before paranoia and suspicion make the situation turn violent. Soon an all-out gang war is spreading across the city, and Batman and his allies may be stretched too thin to stop it.

Okay, I admit I went into this with a bias: I had heard this was a lame story. And then it started out with a chapter told from Spoiler's point of view; and while this was my first real encounter with Spoiler, I had also heard that she was an awful character. So I didn't have very high hopes. In the end, though, I wound up really enjoying the story, even if I do have to agree that Spoiler is an idiot. Especially interesting was watching Tim Drake (who at this point has just quit his role as Robin so he could live a "normal" life) become a well-known hero as he fights a group of mobsters that have taken over his school. The ending of this was unexpected, and I can't wait to see where it goes in Act Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment