Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption 473 pages

I did not READ this book; I listened to the audiobook read by the wonderful actor Edward Herrmann. I had thoroughly enjoyed Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit (award winning story of legendary racehorse and later made into a pretty good film). I usually don't read a lot of non-fiction, but this title had rave reviews. When fellow staffer, Cynthia enthusiastically recommended this title, I reserved it.
Louis Zamperini's life story is larger than life. He starts out as a pranking juvenile delinquent, until his brother gets him involved in athletics. He becomes a discipline runner competing in the 1936 Olympics in Munich with a goal of smashing running records. Instead, war intervenes and he becomes a crewman for the US Army Air Corps. In 1943 his B-24 crashes into the ocean. After 47 days adrift, there are only two survivors, Zamperini, and pilot Russell Allen Phillips. They are rescued by Japanese, and their lives take a turn for the worse when they become POWs. Zamperini draws the wrath of a crazy camp commandant, Mutsuhiro Watanabe. Watanabe's sadistic cruelty is difficult to listen to. I had never heard of Louis although there is an earlier autobiography, Devil at my Heels. Nonetheless, the Hillenbrand's research is meticulous. She quotes letters and diaries to make this unbelievable life story believable. I can totally imagine Clint Eastwood directing this; it may be a different director, but I am sure that Louis will be up on the big screen soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment