Monday, August 29, 2011

To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal 436 pages

Another weeper, but this time it is at least an adult novel and more importantly, not about a dog. I never watched Oprah, but admire her because of her push for the joy of reading. This is a book that I could imagine being praised on her show,the show I just said I never watched. Oh well, let's get to the book. But first, let me digress again. I am just amazed that a man wrote this book. He got all inside the female character. Judith Whitman, not a totally lovable character, but a young girl who is perhaps just a bit too smart for her own good has a tumultuous childhood. Her dad leaves the family and moves West to Nebraska. Her mom reacts by forgetting her age, dressing inappropriately and getting involved with a succession of losers. So Judith, leaves her mom to visit her dad and there she meets the love of her life, Willy Blunt. A kind of Marlboro type guy who understands her, gives her space and loses his center when she leaves him for Stanford, the college, not a guy. I could go on, but then I would spoil it for you. And this is a bittersweet romance to be savored.

No comments:

Post a Comment