Wednesday, August 31, 2011

American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman


American Gods: Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman, Fantasy, 541 pages.
I heard Neil Gaiman speak last January, and that was good. He is a very entertaining person, enjoyable to listen to, and even better to read. He mentioned that he had found his original draft of American Gods around the same time that his agent, or editor, or publisher mentioned releasing a 10 year anniversary edition. I made a note then to be sure and read it. I lost the note and forgot about the book, but since I work in library with a fair number of Neil Gaiman fanatics, I eventually heard about the new edition again. Reading it for the second time I realized that I remembered three things about the book, four if you count the fact that I liked it. I remembered that one of the characters was in prison, that the title had something to do with the characters, and one of the twists at the end. It was a fast read because Gaiman draws you in and pulls you along with his stories. The "preferred text contains about eighty pages of additional content, and none of it feels extra or particularly editable. But as Gaiman says the first editor must have known something of what she was talking about since the version she had him publish won a Hugo, a Nebula and a Bram Stoker award. Fans of Gaiman, those who like a bit of the supernatural, and fans of well told tales will enjoy this.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment