Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Snowman / Jo Nesbo 384 p.



I had a long wait for this one, but it was well worth it. Nesbo gives us another creepy, improbable and occasionally slightly funny murder mystery. Norway's first official serial killer challenges Harry by killing married women with children, and leaving behind hideous snowmen at the crime scenes. He uses one of the most unusual murder weapons I've heard of, provides plenty of false trails, and sets up a spectacular final showdown. I'm reluctant to give much away, but I have to believe that Nesbo has a bit of a laugh with some of this. The plot is intricate and Nesbo gives out just enough clues to tease you along. Harry continues to struggle with alcohol and romantic relationships and remains (for me) less sympathetic than Mankell's Kurt Wallander, but he's still lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment