Thursday, April 14, 2011

Y: The Last Man: Safeword/Brian Vaughan

Y: The Last Man: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, vol. 4), by Brian K. Vaughan; graphic novel, science fiction, dystopia; 144 pages

So far I've been pretty impressed with this series. It would be really easy for the story to tip into the "feminists are evil" camp, or to the "gratuitous male fantasy" realm of comics. Up until now, it hasn't, which I've been enjoying. This volume, though, strayed into the latter category. In this arc, Yorick gets left with one of agent 355's covert operatives (711--no, seriously!) while 355 and Dr. Mann go off in search of medicine for Yorick's pet monkey. While hiding out in an isolated cabin, Yorick is drugged, and wakes up tied to a bed while 711 makes him recount the history of his sex life and force feeds him little blue pills. There's a larger scheme at work, of course, but I spent the bulk of this volume going "Really???" over and over in my head (and sometimes out loud--apologies to other people in the break room yesterday). Which is funny, because my sense of disbelief was fine with the entire scenario of this series. Fortunately, I rushed right into volume 5 after I finished this, so I know the story improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment