Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Library Wars: Love and War, vol 4/Kiiro Yumi


Library Wars: Love and War, vol 4, by Kiiro Yumi (author) and Hiro Arikawa (art); young adult, manga, romance; 200 pages

If it weren't for the word "library" in the title, I probably would have given up on this series. As it was, I was less than impressed with this fourth volume. Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get sick of the blatantly artificial romantic tension, and the main heroine's air-headedness is also starting to grate on my nerves. The plot of this volume swings from a hostage situation (featuring heroic rescues and damsels in distress), to a sit-com-like scenario where Iku's parents come to visit, and the whole team must help her hide the fact that she's in combat situations regularly. I couldn't figure out what kind of tone this book was going for, and I guess the writer didn't know either. Disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment