Friday, April 29, 2011

The Instructions

The Instructions/Adam Levin 1030 pages.

I've risked personal injury carting this book back and forth to try to finish it before the end of the month and despite all of trouble I've received from certain co-workers, I want to clearly state that I like this book. HOWEVER, and lets face it, any 1030 pg. book is going to have a "however" pretty early in the review. What the heck Adam Levin...you need to make friends with an editor who lives by the "less is more" credo.

Gurion ben-Judah Maccabee may be the messiah and/or he may be a violent sociopath. I'm not sure that we really find out what makes Gurion tick but we do know he is relegated to the CAGE program at Aptakisic Jr. High, a program that seems to leave no alternative to the students but to nurse their rage and hatred against the system and the evil monitor. Like prisoners of war, they develop a communication system and partake in acts of civil disobedience. The good news is that conditions like this can lead to strong relationships being forged, so much so, you can unite together and start a war. I would say that things get a little out of hand but no one in the book seems to think so, not Gurion or his rag-tag group.

Glad I read it but also glad that I'm done with it. This book has dominated my reading for a month...it is difficult to hold while petting your cat and my cat doesn't take no for an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment