Monday, April 25, 2011

The Junk-Drawer Corner-Store Front-Porch Blues

The Junk-Drawer Corner-Store Front Porch Blues by John R. Powers  210 pp.

Years ago I read The Last Catholic in America, Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?, and The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice-Cream God by this same author. Even though I wasn't a Catholic school kid, enough of my friends were, and I found those books very funny. I was in search of those in our catalog when I discovered this book. (I loaned out my copies of the others years ago and they were never returned..) This is not in the same vein as Powers other books which mainly involve growing up and going to Catholic schools. In this story Donald Cooper returns to his hometown because his elderly mother has broken her hip. She sends him on an errand to retrieve items from the family home which he has not been to in years, having left after a family tragedy. Visiting his old neighborhood and home brings up memories, both good and bad, and he comes to terms with what had happened so many years ago. It's a nice book and a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment