Monday, April 25, 2011

Twilight's Dawn/Anne Bishop

Twilight's Dawn by Anne Bishop (Black Jewels series); fantasy, romance; 448 pages

While the first three books of this series are some of my favorite reads ever, I admit I've been less than impressed with recent additions to this world. So I was surprised to enjoy these short stories (more novellas, really) as much as I did. They still weren't the same caliber as the earlier books, but they were enjoyable. I can't go into too much of the plot without spoiling the Big Story that is the beginning of this series, but I can say that these stories ran the gamut from heartwarming to heartbreaking and back again, without ever really hitting on the dark tone of the rest of the series. This book also had a feeling of finality about it, so maybe this was Bishop's farewell to this universe. If so, it's a good way to go out. Now, I need to go reread some of the earlier books.

No comments:

Post a Comment