Monday, April 18, 2011

Bare-Bones Meditation: Waking Up from the Story of My Life-Jane Tollifson (239 pages)

Omigoodness, this book could have been a bit shorter and no one would have missed out on anything. I really liked this book, but it definitely has bad moments, which is not surprising considering the fact that it is based mostly on journals. Tollifson voices many of the thoughts that we have, and by we, I mean New-Agey folk who are constantly thinking about enlightenment and stuff like that. Still...I rushed to finish the book and at the end, I felt the the kind of love and repulsion that I reserve for my own journals. So I guess you could say I identified with it. Tollifson, a New-Age, one-handed lesbian goes back and forth between California and New York, between Zen and "bare-bones meditation." Her challenges and her thoughts are illuminating, but probably only because we've had them all before. It's like, "Wow, someone else has all my thoughts!" All in all, a good book, but it gets a bit old after awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment