Monday, April 18, 2011

Reckless by Cornelia Funke 394 pages

I was told at a publisher's event that Cornelia Funke was more popular in Europe than JK Rowling. Time magazine listed her on its TIME 100 list of most influential people in the world. I have read a couple of her books and did kind of enjoy The Thief Lord. I really forced myself to finish this book. Silly me, I thought that the main characters, the brothers, Jacob and Will Reckless were supposed to be the "Brothers Grimm" disguised. They meet a wide assortment of fantastical characters -- rather DARK fairy tale characters (some easily recognized as variants of famous characters, others were totally new). Will is suffering from a curse that is slowly turning him into green stone. Jacob is trying to save him and the journey is a skewed "through the looking glass" adventure. Perhaps I am reaching my limit of fantasy novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment