Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To Get Here

To Get Here/ Wendy Mnookin 81 pgs.

To complete my April Poetry Month reading, I chose this book by Wendy Mnookin in the random fashion of grabbing something off the shelf in the poetry section. I've already admitted I'm a poetry book boob and even though I've read a few, I'm in no position yet to have a real direction or opinion. I really lucked out. This book is beautiful and lovely in the way that I can understand most of the poems and appreciate them. Many are about family and every day happenings with many references to the author's son. Later in the book, it seems like the son has grown up to have a bit of a substance abuse problem and the poems become much less "light" but still amazing in how so much emotion is conveyed with very few words. Overall this book is a winner and is making me think I need to continue with more poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment