Sunday, April 17, 2011

Agatha H and the Airship City / Phil and Kaja Foglio

Agatha H and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio. 258 p.

It's increasing common for popular fiction books to be adapted as graphic novels--heck, even Janet Evanovich has done it. Much less common is for a graphic novel series to be turned into prose novels, but that's what the Foglios are doing with their Girl Genius books. A lot of humor in the graphic novels is visual, and I feel most of it doesn't come across as well in prose. On the other hand, we get additional background worldbuilding information in prose. Some of it's quite, quite interesting, particularly the prologue featuring Barry & Bill Heterodyne, which helps nail down a couple of dates that I'm sure will be critical later. I prefer Girl Genius in its visual form--I love Phil Foglio's art--but the prose novels are a welcome addition to the canon, and I'll certainly continue to follow them.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment