Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Luficer: Evensong/Mike Carey


Lucifer: Evensong by Mike Carey (Lucifer vol 11), graphic novel, horror, fantasy; 216 pages

And this is the end. This volume ties up (most) of the remaining loose ends from this series, and closes down the story. Elaine comes to terms with her new role, and our title character makes the decision to leave this creation forever. It's a quieter story than the last volume, but it feels very final, and appropriately sober.

The only incongruous thing here is the inclusion of a stand-alone story at the end of this volume, which actually takes place at the beginning of the series. It's an odd choice to finish off the series, and while I enjoyed that story, I think I might have preferred for my last image of Lucifer to be the one at the end of his arc, fading into the nothingness beyond creation. That said, I think I need to go back and reread this with fresh eyes, and stop comparing it to Sandman when I should be reading it for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment