Friday, March 11, 2011

Fade by Lisa McMann 248 pages

Ever have a bad nightmare? Janie has a gift (or as she begins to think, a curse) of being able to listen in on other peoples' dreams. You can imagine what a tool this would be for crime fighters and actually, Janie does that, too. She and the quiet hunk, Cable are undercover high school cops. Their case -- a possible sex ring involving popular teachers using date rate drugs. How diabolical!Janie discovers that there is a great price extracted for using her "gift". She is probably doomed to go blind and lose the use of her hands. This could crimp that relationship with Cable. Yes, this is not great lit but it does grab the reader. The worst flaw that jumped out at me was the rather bizarre relationship she has with her alcoholic mother (who seems to live conveniently "offstage"). I wish that I could remember if I read Wake, the first book in this trilogy. Sadly, when I checked our shelves, I discovered that it was on trace (= missing in action). So, I reordered a new copy and put the next volume Gone on hold.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Wake. McMann has a new book out too - Cryer's Cross I believe it is called. Ohh and there is an amusing typo in the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I just read a really glowing review of Cryer's Cross. Now I'm bumping it up on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete