Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, 266 pages

This is the first Agatha Christie book I've read, and the first mystery I've read in a good long while. There's probably something wrong with the fact that I was inspired to read it by a 30 Rock episode in which Liz Lemon comes to the conclusion that she'll be a spinster forever and joins an old lady book club that's reading the large print edition of Murder on the Orient Express. But with that seed planted in my head, I chose to check this book out rather than shelve it. Eh, why not, right?

With the old lady book club image firmly in my head, I didn't particularly expect this to be a quick, fun read. But you know what they say about assumptions... (you don't? Well, ask me later.) I enjoyed the way this mystery was structured, laying out all of the facts of the crime, the evidence, the interviews so that I could try to solve the murder myself. I liked the fact that I had no idea what Poirot was thinking. And I really really liked the fact that I had no idea who the murderer was until the very end. I love books that can surprise me like that.

So if Agatha Christie is on the old lady book club reading list, I guess I should buy a walker, shove some Kleenex up my sleeve and start eating dinner at 4 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. I went through an Agatha Christie phase and read dozens of her books and STILL could never figure out who dun it. She still impresses me.

    ReplyDelete