Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Monsters of Men/Patrick Ness

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking, book 3); young adult, science fiction; 603 pages (about 13 hours, listening)

"War makes monsters of men."

That's what Todd's adopted father told him in The Knife of Never Letting Go. Now, Todd is experiencing that adage first-hand. The war with the Spackle (the indigenous species that occupies the world which humans have colonized) has brought a truce to the internal conflicts of the humans of New World, but it has also given dangerous amounts of power to President Prentiss. Todd remains by his side, but this time as a means of keeping the president's power in check. But the longer Todd is near him, the more Prentiss seems to be rubbing off on him.

I took a lot longer to listen to this than the previous books. I think that was largely because this is a war novel, plain and simple, and I have trouble reading those. It's not until the end of the book that we return to the character-driven story I loved so much. That's not to say I'm not happy I read this; the conclusion was nothing like what I expected, but I was investing enough in the story at to be shouting at my CD player as I drove down the road--but, you know, in a good way. A great end to a gripping series. I look forward to Ness's next project. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment