Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lucifer: Children and Monsters/Mike Carey

Lucifer: Children and Monsters by Mike Carey (Lucifer, vol. 2); graphic novel, horror, fantasy; 208 pages

I've only read one volume previous to this, so it's probably too early to say that this is my favorite installment so far. But I did really enjoy this one: I felt that the story was more independent, and less reliant on things that were set up in Sandman. Also, one of the story arcs in this volume focuses on Elaine Belloc, who we met briefly at the end of volume one. Elaine is a 12-year-old girl whose unusual abilities allow her to see ghosts, turn back time, and travel outside her own body. We've been given hints that these powers aren't hers by chance, but it's in this volume that we get to see for real where she comes from, and why.

This is also where some of the larger plot points for the series are introduced (as I'm writing this, I'm halfway through volume 4, so I can safely make statements like that). I won't go into too many details on the plot, but suffice it to say that I read this all in a single sitting, and couldn't even stop before diving int the next story.

No comments:

Post a Comment