Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lucifer: Crux/Mike Carey

Lucifer: Crux by Mike Carey (Lucifer vol 9); graphic novel, horror, fantasy; 168 pages

I think the appeal of this series is starting to wane. I'm still enjoying it, and I love the writing, but the story at this point is rather choppy. I initially compared this series to Neil Gaiman's Sandman (of which it is a spin-off, so I feel like that's fair). I'm cutting it some slack, because Sandman is one of my favorite comics, but even so, I'm starting to loose patience with Lucifer. Instead of larger arcs that would give the story a more epic feeling, we've been getting shorter arcs (two to three issues) and on-shots for the past few volumes. That trend continues here, with two small arcs, and a stand-alone issue in between. All three stories were excellent, but taken all together, they didn't add up to a real "graphic novel" feeling. I'm still going to keep going--after all, I'm only two volumes away from the end!

As an aside: one of the most annoying things in the world for me is when I'm reading a graphic novel, and realize that someone has torn out a page, or in this case, a single panel. Why? WHY???? People like that are the reason I don't know what happens at the end of Batman: Hush, why my recent reread of Kingdom Come had to be aborted, and why there was a giant hole in the page where the second panel of page 62 should have been in this volume. Show your graphic novels some love! Readers of comics unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment