Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lucifer: The Divine Comedy/Mike Carey

Lucifer: The Divine Comedy by Mike Carey (Lucifer, vol. 4); graphic novel, horror, fantasy; 192 pages

I tore through this volume on my lunch break, and I take it as a good sign that I plan to pick up the next volume as soon as I get home. Like the battle of Paradise Lost (on which Carey seems to be basing his Lucifer), this book revolves around a war that, while ultimately just one small part of the series, will have repercussions for the rest of this world's history. The plot is this: Lucifer has created a world of his own, and allowed his chosen people to thrive there, on one condition: they must never worship anyone as divine, not even him. But then then the Basanos, a deck of living tarot cards, invade this new world, and try to set themselves up as gods.

The story got very emotional here, with the loss of a few major characters (unexpected this early in the series), and the introduction of a few more. There was also a cameo appearance from Death of the Endless, which made my inner fangirl squee with delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment