Monday, October 10, 2011

The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation/Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation by Ray Bradbury, adapted by Dennis Calero; graphic novel, science fiction; 160 pages

The Martian Chronicles was one of the first "hard" scifi books I read, and to this day it remains one of my favorite. I haven't revisited it in several years, though, so I was psyched to pick up this book.

The "adaptation" part of the title is key here, because this graphic depiction only includes a small fraction of the nearly 30 stories that make up the book. The choice of stories is interesting, in that it includes some stories I only vaguely remember, while others that I consider classics are completely absent ("There Will Come Soft Rains" is not included, much to my disappointment). Still, the work manages to capture the tone of the original, and the great cycle of the Mars settlement. Calero's art is shifting and indistinct, and adds a nice element of tension to the stories, and helps to set up the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment