Saturday, October 29, 2011

God, No: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist, and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette


God, No: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist, and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette, 229 pages.

While Penn Jillette (the larger, more talkative half of Penn & Teller) couches his personal stories with a "hey I got way more success and money and friends who are strippers than I ever imagined I would have" sort of humility, he does seem to mention fairly frequently that he has a lot more success, money, friends who are strippers, and famous friends than you the reader (or me the reader, in this case) will ever have. I'm okay with that. I chose to read another celbrity memoirish sort of book. Eugene Merman, Anthony Kiedis, Keith Richards and many others should have taught me that there aren't many people of the televised or musical sort who are worth reading. John Hodgman and Tina Fey are the only two recent exceptions that I can think of right now. I heard Jillette on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and thought that what he was saying about atheisim and talking to people about atheism was compelling. Reading the book though, it is more about Penn Jillette. Much less of the book is devoted to atheism than I would have thought, and much more devoted to the aforementioned fame, money, and famous people.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment