Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Queer History of the Unites States / Michael Bronski

A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski. 286 p.

It was very interesting to read about how earlier times thought about, and described, sexuality. Our categories are not theirs; even the Puritans didn't necessarily punish sodomy, for instance, if it was private and didn't interfere with society. Bronski talks a lot about America's obsession with "purity," especially the 19th century social purity movements and their deep, abiding effects on American society--the "persecuting society," as he calls it. He discusses all manner of relevant aspects of society, including language--for instance, the phrase coming out wasn't really in use before the late 60s; the "previously the metaphor had been about coming into the homosexual world," p. 209).


(As an aside: It's been a long time since I've felt so stupid while reading a book--in some sections I felt like I couldn't fully understand the discussion. I've not read much social history nor political theory. I don't mean that Bronski's language is overly technical, just that I felt like I was missing some basic theoretical grounding that would have helped.)

Overall, I found the book very interesting, and will probably check out some of the references and topics that Bronski lists.


Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment