Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fables, vol. 10 & 11

Fables: The Good Prince by Bill Willingham, 228 pages
Fables: War and Pieces by Bill Willingham, 177 pages

I loved The Good Prince. After watching Flycatcher for 9 previous volumes and totally falling in love with the character, it was great for him to get a volume that focused on his ascent to heroism. I know I've complained about previous volumes that have stuck primarily to just one storyline, but this is definitely the exception and is probably my favorite of the volumes thus far. Also noteworthy in this volume is the variation of artists used in the series. Yes, it's been going on all along, but there are some really different and really cool styles that have popped up in the last few, and I thought it would be amiss if I didn't point out how much I like the different depictions of Willingham's words.

On to volume 11! According to the afterword from Willingham, this could have been the end of the series. After all, by the end of War and Pieces, the great war between the free fables and the Adversary is over and just about all the little bits and pieces are tied up neatly. (Feasibly, the series could have easily ended with The Good Prince, but this one quite nicely answers the questions that were still unanswered after Flycatcher's adventures.) Willingham certainly had his work cut out for him, tying up all of the storylines that have been scattered through the series thus far, and volumes 10 and 11 show how complicated the story's gotten since the first murder mystery volume. So yeah, I could stop here and enjoy the 11 for the great storytelling they were, but I'm now an addict and so must continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment