Sunday, November 6, 2011

Kink / Stephanie Clifford-Smith

Kink: a straight girl's investigation by Stephanie Clifford-Smith. 295 p.

I was a bit disappointed by this book. The title caught my eye and I thought it would be fun. The sections that are mostly interviews with people discussing their kinks are really interesting; the author will talk about how she got in contact with the person, the circumstances under with the interview took place--because, of course, many people interpreted her stated desire to interview them as a come-on--and then the person describes what they do, and why. One man even let her observe a couple of his sessions with dominatrixes (although that didn't always go so well because some of the dommes tried to involve her in the scene). But then there sections where the author seems to go out of her way to indicate her contempt for the people she's discussing, and how icky and weird they are. I didn't expect her to approve of everyone she talked to or anything; I guess I just expected her to report on stuff. Frankly, not a one of the kinks she writes about appeals to me either, but that doesn't require me to be contemptuous of the people who are involved in them.


Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment