Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, vol 1/Philip K. Dick

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, vol 1, by Philip K. Dick (author) and Tony Parker (art); graphic novel, science fiction; 144 pages

This is the first of a series of graphic novels adapting Dick's cyberpunk classic. Of course, I only learned today that volume three is still forthcoming, so I may have to pick up a print copy of the book so I can see how the story ends. The complete text of the novel is here, complete with little "he said" boxes after speech bubbles. My previous exposure to this story came entirely from the movie Blade Runner. I still love that movie, but now I'm beginning to understand why so many purists were upset by the film adaptation: apart from a few character names, the movie is completely different from the book. I really enjoyed this book, and am already mostly through the next volume. As an added bonus, there are essays included from some of my favorite authors, and some I hadn't encountered (I especially recommend Matt Fraction's essay). Really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment