Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Batman: A Death in the Family/Jim Starlin, et al

Batman: A Death in the Family by Jim Starlin (writer), Marv Worlman (writer) and Jim Apargo (art); graphic novel; 272 pages

Every once in a while my Batman obsession rears its head, and I go on something of a comics bender. I've been meaning to read this story arc for a while, but haven't been able to get my hands on a copy. It's something of a classic, so I was please to find it in the consortium. There are actually two story arcs collected here: "Death in the Family" follows the events leading up to the dead of Jason Todd, Dick Grayson's successor as Robin. I wasn't a fan of Todd, and I thought the plotting was pretty thin (the whole thing could have been avoided if Robin had talked to a librarian before jaunting off to Lebanon; of course, Batgirl was indisposed...). I enjoyed the second story arc, "A Lonely Place for Dying" much more. It introduces Tim Drake as the new Robin, and does so in a way that had me grinning throughout. Basically, 13-year-old Drake figures out who Batman is all on his own, notices that he's getting reckless since the death of Robin, and stages in intervention. It had just the right blend of humor and serious story to satisfy my obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment