Friday, July 23, 2010

All-Star Batman and Robin/Frank Miller

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, vol 1, by Frank Miller (writer) and Jim Lee (art); graphic novel; 240 pages

I picked this up on Cindy's recommendation (not that is was good, but that it was something I should read, for perspective). And now I'm not sure what I can say about this. The "All-Star" series is generally designed for an all-ages audience, which makes the choice of Frank Miller (author of Sin City, 300, and The Dark Knight Returns) as the author really strange. Miller's book is anything but kid-friendly, and his version of Batman is more sociopath than superhero. On top of that, Miller (who we know can write well) writes the characters as all slightly (or not-so-slightly) crazy, and the dialogue is so stilted and redundant that it's almost comedic. Jim Lee's art is fantastic, as always, but gratuitous in terms of how the women were depicted. I've seen Lee's work elsewhere, and that wasn't an issue, so I'm going to blame Miller for that, as well. Overall it was a very strange read, and not necessarily something I would suggest to anyone but the most hard-core Batman fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment