Friday, July 2, 2010

Ink Exchange/Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr; young adult; 325 pages (about 9 hours, listening)

One of the reasons I love Marr's books is that they never turn out how you expect. Here, it would have been really easy for the plot to turn into another dime-a-dozen romance with supernatural elements, but it never does. The characters are realistic, and dealing with much darker, heavier issues than I usually see in YA books with faeries in them (the exception is, of course, Holly Black). There are some romantic elements, but no happily ever afters. Th ending feels real, which was a refreshing change. I loved this story, and am planning to pick up the next in this series. My one complaint wasn't the book, but the reader on the audio book. The producers chose a guy as the reader, which I thought was an odd choice for a book about a teenage girl. He did a good job, but it took me a few discs to get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment