Monday, July 26, 2010

Batman: Knightfall pt. 1/Chuck Dixon

Batman: Knightfall, part one: Broken Bat by Chuck Dixon (writer) and various artists; graphic novel; 272 pgs

I'm continuing my reading of classic Batman stories with this entry, the first of three parts. Tracking this series down is a study in library resources: part one is at St. Louis County Library, I have to borrow part two through Interlibrary Loan, and part three is at one of the other libraries in our consortium. This installment was enough to make me think it will all be worth it, though. The villain Bane is out to get Batman, but he wants to wear him down first. So Bane breaks open Arkham Asylum, setting all of Batman's enemies loose on the city. In the course of 48 hours, Batman faces down almost every villain he's ever fought, and he still has to fight Bane at the end of it all. I liked this because it's the only time I can think of where Batman is actually tired, or scared, or sick. Dixon does a good job with the characters, even if the art is only so-so. The story (written in 1993) comes off as a little dated in places, but it's forgivable. It also ends on a huge cliffhanger, so I'm eager to get my hands on the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment