Monday, July 19, 2010

The Carbon Diaries 2015/Saci Lloyd

The Carbon Diaries 2015 by Saci Lloyd; young adult; 330 pages

This was another of those books that was creepy because I could see it happening in real life. The year is 2015, and 16 year old Laura is coming to terms with the new carbon rationing system in the UK. Global warming has caused massive climate changes for England, with fierce storms and droughts drastically affecting everyday life. To counter it, residents of the UK are granted a ration of carbon "points" that can be uses towards electricity, hot water, transportation, etc. It's a cool idea, and one that I thought was pretty interesting. As far as the plot goes, I think I was expecting something a little more dramatic; there are dramatic things going on, but Laura's diary doesn't go into great detail, and I felt kind of detached while reading it. I'll still read the sequel, but I don't know if I'd reread this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment