Friday, July 9, 2010

Shakespeare Undead/Lori Handeland

Shakespeare Undead by Lori Handeland; 304 pages

I should have liked this book a whole lot more than I did. After all, anything bold enough to combine vampires and zombies with Shakespeare (my own personal hero) should be a win in my book. Unfortunately, the quality of the writing was only so-so, and the supernatural elements, which I thought were the most original part of the book, take a backseat to the romance, which is a pale reworking of the movie Shakespeare in Love. That's not surprising, given Handeland's experience as a romance author. What really got to me, though, were the blatant errors regarding Shakespeare, his works, and the Elizabethan lifestyle. It made me frustrated enough that I probably wouldn't have finished the book had I not been trapped at the car repair place for the better part of a day. It's a light, fast read, and it did have its funny parts, but not something I would read again.

No comments:

Post a Comment