Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Just my Type: a book about fonts by Simon Garfield 330 pages

I had to wait such a long time to get my hands on this book. When I help create flyers or posters I have always enjoyed playing with fonts. I could not fathom that so many others were interested in this topic. Garfield does a rather thorough job of giving the history of "fonts", some of the creative names who "invented" various fonts, some of the modern legal battles over copyrights and more. It was also interesting to see the changes in signage in international cities. I found it fascinating to hear about people who catch"font anachronisms" in movies and television shows. Of course, there were so many fonts and variations, that it was difficult for me to remember favorites. Some day, I will have to go back and take notes, for now, I will just pass it on to the next reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment