Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Emily Carr & her dogs

Emily Carr and Her Dogs, Flirt, Punk & Loo written & illustrated by Emily Carr  96 pp.

I became a fan of Emily Carr's art after I read Susan Vreeland's The Forest Lover, a fictionalized biography of Carr. I stumbled upon this little book when browsing for books for my e-reader. The cost was minimal, if not free, and I was curious. I just got around to reading it (I couldn't handle anything too challenging while sick). Carr briefly describes her foray into breeding Old English Sheepdogs (Bobtails) during a brief period of her life. Between the small chapters are watercolor sketches and commentary "made by the dogs."  Parts are sweet. Parts are sad. What comes through is how much she enjoyed the animals she raised and her heartbreak when forced to give them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment