Monday, December 12, 2011

Priest: Genesis/Min-Woo Hyung

Priest: Genesis by Min-Woo Hyung; graphic novel, horror, western; 540 pages

I recently saw the film based on this comic, and while the movie isn't great cinema, it was entertaining enough for me to seek out the source material. This omnibus collects the first three volumes of the manwha.

I'm glad picked this up in the omnibus format. The first two volumes have little to no story, and are pretty much just page after page of fight scenes. From what I could glean, our protagonist is some sort of demon-hunter whose powers spring from a bargain with another type of demon. His goal is to wipe out the lesser (but still pretty scary) demons who are trying to summon their master. If I had just had the first volume in hand, I probably would have never tried to get the second, which was more of the same. The third volume, though, starts to introduce the plot, which has enough tantalizing bits to make me think about continuing in this series (though I haven't made up my mind if I actually will). One of the things that kept me going was the this series' similarities to the Hellsing manga--Ivan is no Alucard, but the visuals are close enough that sometimes I could just pretend I was reading a fight scene in that series instead.

If you do decide to pick this up, you should know that the translation is a little bumpy in places (most noticeably, when someone mentions that they're in Tennessee, while riding through what looks like Monument Valley). This is also one of the gorier books I've read in a long time. Maybe I'll continue this, but I think I need a break for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment