Friday, December 30, 2011

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 309 pages
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 341 pages
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 435 pages
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 734 pages
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 870 pages
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 652 pages
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 759 pages

Note: So it may seem a bit cheap to blog about these all at once. BUT I do have a reason for that. For me, these books are all just one big story that happens to be broken into smaller, more digestible (and easier to carry) parts. I can't read one without reading them all; ask my husband how annoying he finds it. So there's my reason; take it or leave it.

There are few people in the world, much less in libraries, who don't know the story of J.K. Rowling's boy wizard, so I'm not going to make any attempt to rehash the overarching plot of the series. This was a reread for me, and, as always, I got sucked into the details of Rowling's world, marveling at how some innocuous comment or act from one of the first books could have so great an impact later on in the series. True, she gets a bit wordy in those middle books (Order of the Phoenix in particular could use a heavier editing), but for the most part, even her small details should not be overlooked. Every time I read these books (and I'm embarrassed to say how many times I've done that), I have some new revelation. That's some talented writing there, Ms. Rowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment