Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ego & Hubris

Ego & Hubris: The Michael Malice Story by Harvey Pekar  153 pp.

The late Harvey Pekar is an acquired taste. I have to admit I didn't like his stuff very much at first, but I've learned to appreciate it. Michael Malice, the subject of this book, is a real person. Malice's first appearance was in Pekar's American Splendor. The response by the public was favorable and led to this book. Malice is an interesting character. He is highly intelligent with an ego to match. The book chronicles his life up through his late thirties including his education, working at a string of jobs, conflicts with his family, and his frequently abrasive personality. If Pekar's portrayal is accurate, and I have no reason to think it isn't, Michael Malice is not someone I'd get along with. But the book was an interesting read and it meant I could squeak in one more book this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment