Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Quicksilver / Amanda Quick

Quicksilver by Amanda Quick. An Arcane Society novel ; book 2 of the Looking Glass trilogy. 327 p.

Amanda Quick--which is Jayne Ann Krentz's nom de plume for historicals--has been an auto-read for me for years, but I'm sorry to say that these last several books have all started to run together for me. Part of it is the Arcane Society background she's using to tie the books together. Members of the Arcane Society have psychic powers. Rather than use traditional psychic powers, like mindreading, Quick has invented her own--for instance, glass-reading, which the heroine of this book has. But she has to spend time explaining the powers in each new book, and I'd rather she spend those pages on character interactions. I can always count on her to have strong female characters and strong-but-not-overpowering male characters, but somehow they've become a bit dull.

Check our catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment