Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mockingjay/ Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Young adult, adventure, dystopian, war, series. 400 pages

I don't know quite what inspired me to revisit the third installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy. After some contemplation, I have decided that it was a combination of three major factors-- 1. anticipation for the Hunger Games movie next year (of which I have a few choice words to say about the casting that I won't bother to include here but feel free to ask me about them if you have time for an hourlong bitchfest). 2. The fact that I was severely disappointed by the Hangover pt. 2, which caused me to realize that maybe I judge sequels too harshly based on the success of their predecessors and 3. I had nothing to listen to before an 8 hour shelving shift and was running out of time. All three of these factors, in no particular order of importance, drew me to the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy with the hope that my disappointment of the first read when the book came out will be replaced with appreciation if I read the book on its own and take it for what it is instead of comparing it to the awesome Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Unfortunately for me, although I escaped with appreciation in a few key areas, I was largely still disappointed by Suzanne Collins' inability to finish what could have been the greatest written trilogy of our time.

The main issue with Mockingjay is that it completely digresses from the formula that made Hunger Games and Catching Fire so great. Collins had a really great formula going when she took a little bit of "Lord of the Flies" mixed it with "Gladiator" and threw in some "1984." I understand that the circumstances of the last book have changed substantially which would make this formula less effective, but to turn the story into a war novel seemed like quite an abandonment of what the series was about. Also, with the exception of 5 of the story's main characters (Katniss, Haymitch, Peeta, Gale, and Prim) and the occasional cameo of a character from the last two books, many of the lovable characters from the first two volumes are simply considered off-page casualties never to be heard of again (Cinna anybody? And really...Collins' choice to bring back comic foil Effie Trinket in the last few chapters of the book? Good luck negotiating that one with Elizabeth Banks when the third movie comes out...). Certain wartime characters such as the tough-as-nails Boggs and the oh-so-hateable President Coin are welcome additions, but don't make the character sacrifices worthwhile.

Also, I need to comment on the plot of the third book while attempting to not reveal too much important plot information unless someone's been hiding under a rock and hasn't read it yet. Katniss Everdeen, the trilogy's protagonist, is turned from center of the action in the first two books to a glorified audience member in the third book. It is clear that Collins was trying to show the readers that the Panem rebellion was something much larger than one person but her choice to constantly have Katniss wake up in a hospital bed only to have the important events of the war told to her by a confidant just seems unfair to the readers. WE WANT TO SEE KATNISS SUCCEED!!!! By choosing to go down a much darker plot path, Collins really cheated Katniss and the readers out of the ending they deserved. Although it makes for an interesting story that Katniss becomes such a conflicted character, she gained so much of our respect in the first two books that readers weren't going to abandon her, and instead curse Collins for not allowing such a great character to EARN an ending she deserves. Also, the will-they-or-won't-they love triangle between Katniss and her two boyfriends Peeta and Gale is so confusing that when it finally comes to a conclusion the readers are not excited for Katniss and her choice but instead relieved that the annoying "turmoil" within Katniss as a character is over.

Honestly, I could bitch and moan for another couple of hours about this book, but it is a book that most people have their own issues with and reading mine will only frustrate fans of the series more. I realize that there is no such thing as a do-over in the world of fictional series, but I found myself wishing that Collins could be the exception to this rule because I would really like to read a third Hunger Games book that ends the series in a more enjoyable manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment