Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Coldest Winter Ever/Sister Souljah

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah; urban literature, crime, drama; 432 pages

I've been meaning to read this for several years, and I'm glad I finally got around to it. This is the story of Winter Santiaga, eldest daughter of one of the most powerful crime families in New York. However, when her father is arrested, she loses everything in a matter of weeks, and soon finds herself trying to survive alone on the streets.

I enjoyed this story, but it became difficult to keep watching Winter make poor decisions. It seemed like any time things started to look up, she'd overreach, or betray someone who trusted her, and everything would come crashing down. In the end, though, I still wanted things to work out for her, despite the fact that I never warmed up to her as a main character. Overall, this is a gripping read, told from a unique perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment