Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A little history of the world

A little history of the world/E. H. Gombrich (translated by Caroline Mustill) 284 pgs.

This should have been "my kind of book". Truly a little history that starts way before man shows up on earth. Each chapter is short and sweet and takes into account a major era or personality in history. However, I had a very hard time getting through this book. I got stuck on Charlemagne's rule at the new year and just didn't get back to it for awhile. I am glad that I finished the book. It has a refreshing perspective...very little American history here...this is really about the WORLD. In the end, I'm really glad that I finished the book just to get a better idea of the relationship in time of some of the major world events. Maybe my hesitancy to get back to this one has more to do with the lack of a "plot" driven narrative. Each chapter really sort of stands alone. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment