Thursday, January 6, 2011

Super sad true love story

Super sad true love story by Gary Shteyngart 331 pgs.

This is a love story dystopia set in the near future. Lenny and Eunice are a mismatched pair trying to make a go of it in New York City as America crumbles. The political statement here is frightening as people walk around in constant communication with the network that is rating their personality, looks and hotness while keeping track of their credit rating. Too bad for the poor suckers who have kept their wealth in dollars instead of yuan as the entire system is failing in America. Lenny's book collection just makes people feel sorry for him as most have never read a book and books smell bad. Everything I read about this book mentioned how funny it is and how they enjoyed the irony. I found it frightening and perhaps not all that absurd. When the network goes down due to an attack, everyone loses touch with each other and many young people commit suicide because they can not live without the information stream. Tell me if that doesn't sound real and scary. - Christa


2 comments:

  1. This sounds really similar to M. T. Anderson's book, Feed. I got the same scary-because-it-could-happen vibe off that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I read your review. I was going to pick this one up, but on second thought, I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete